Help- I Have Mask-ne, Raw, Dry, and Sensitive Skin!
| || |
CBD (cannabidiol) is taking the skincare world by storm. It's like the new vitamin C! Just like vitamin C, CBD is chalk full of benefits for the skin.
CBD is a lipid-based molecule in the Cannabis plant called a phytocannabinoid. Cannabis has over 100 phytocannabinoids, each having their own therapeutic value. Phytocannabinoids communicate with the endocannabinoid system (ECS), one of our body's major systems which regulates and promotes balance or homeostasis within every function of the body including sleep, reproduction, memory, and more!
The skin is a dynamic organ; there is a lot going on in there! It is producing oil to protect and lubricate the skin. The skin is producing melanin to protect from injury. Skin cells have a life cycle, it starts when they form in the bottom layer of the epidermis. These cells morph while they migrate to the surface of the epidermis. Skin cells start as fat, plump, juicy cells on the bottom layer and eventually turn into flat, crunchy cornflake cells on the top layer. This process of morphing and migrating, life cycle of a skin cell takes 28 days in healthy skin. Collagen and elastin are being synthesized, and more! The endocannabinoid system is responsible for regulating all of this. Remember, CBD communicates with the endocannabinoid system to promote balance!
Here are my 5 reasons topical CBD will save your skin!
1. Support of Vibrant Aging (I HATE the term anti-aging): CBD is anti-inflammatory, and inflammation is a pre-cursor to aging. CBD has a high antioxidant value, higher than vitamins A, C, and E. This means it helps to protect from free radical damage like the sun, pollution, poor diet, etc. CBD also helps to balance the lifecycle of the skin cell, which slows with age; resulting in dull lackluster skin. CBD also promotes balance of oil production which slows with age, drying the skin out and making it look less vibrant with more visible lines. Another sign of premature aging is dark spots that can be caused by the sun, medications, acne scarring, or injury among other things. CBD regulates melanin production, helping to brighten the skin.
2. Heals and Prevents Acne: CBD is anti-bacterial, but not only that, CBD selectively destroys pathogenic bacteria while leaving non-pathogenic bacteria (supporting the micro-biome of the skin). CBD regulates oil production which is helpful for both dry acne and oily acne.
3. Manages Pigmentation: CBD regulates melanogenesis, the process of pigment production in the skin. In addition, pigment production is a result of inflammation or perceived injury by the skin, because CBD is anti-inflammatory it fights this inflammation.
4. Assists Healing of Eczema and Psoriasis: The anti-inflammatory properties of CBD properties of CBD are beneficial for both eczema and psoriasis. In addition, both psoriasis and eczema may be triggered by an overgrowth of staphylococcus bacterium. The oil regulating properties of CBD help heal the impaired barrier on the surface of the skin.
5. Balances Combination and Oily Skin, while Moisturizing Dry Skin: All due to the regulation of oil production!!
These are just a few reasons CBD skincare is the bomb! I exclusively use ColorUp professional CBD skincare because they are the best skincare I've EVER used (CBD or not)!!! Not only will you find organic Colorado hemp CBD, but a plethora of other cosmeceutical ingredients that pack a heavy punch for beautiful, glowing skin. Follow me to the CBD skincare shop!
Emily Davis is the owner of Stratum Aesthetics and has been a licensed esthetician since 2007. She is a holistic esthetician specializing in cannabis skin care.